[Simh] A possible Interdata roadmap.

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Fri Feb 10 20:36:15 EST 2006

Interdata, wow, that brings back a few memories.  When I was an
undergraduate
at MIT I hung out in the predecessor to the Media Lab, called the
Architecture
Machine Group.  This was a big Interdata shop.  In 1973 we had a couple of
model 5's and a model 3, and we soon thereafter got an (amazing to me)
model 70.

I designed a few interfaces for these things, including a cartridge tape
controller
for the Model 70.  Later we got a Model 85  (all semiconductor memory- yow)
that we built a color frame buffer for.

By 1976 we had a couple of 7/32's complete with microcode bugs. You
could get the
microcode into an infinite loop, and thanks to power-save and core
memory, you couldn't
get out again, except by unplugging the core module with the machine
running.  This
gave a good chance of blowing up the memory card...

Those were very nice machines.  We had our own OS, with swappable device
drivers.
One of my first assignments was fitting a driver for the IBM 2741
printer into 160 hex
bytes.

But I digress...

-Larry