[Simh] on 3bsd & 32v... with partial 32v success!

Jason jsteve at vaxenrule.com
Thu Feb 2 18:42:14 EST 2006

After watching 3bsd crash, I thought Id try 32v..   I'll post the config in
a moment, but bottom line is that I cant get it to 'read' the tape drive.
So I thought Id just stick the kernel on a 4.2 filesystem & try to boot
it...
Lo & behold:

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
VAX780 simulator V3.5-2
Listening on port 2311 (socket 6)
Modem control activated

Boot
: ra(0,0)vmunix
46488+5520+54168 start 0x43b

Invalid SCB vector, PC: 00000447 (CVTPS @29C3EF02(R11),#0,#0,#31)
sim> q
Goodbye
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<

So it would appear that the bootloader from 4.2 cannot load kernels from 32v
& 3bsd.

Digging thru the 32v source code I did come up with a 'guide'
(/usr/man/man8/sysgen.8 & /usr/doc/setup )on how to build the tape, and some
instructions on bootstrapping it.  I came up with this config:

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
;32v
;Disabled uneeded devices
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz lines=8
;
;The rp disk
set rp0 rp06
at rp0 32v.dsk
;
;32v tape
at tu0 32v/32v.tap
;load the 'boot' program from tape...
D 30000 20009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 3204A101
D 3000C C113C08F
D 30010 A1D40424
D 30014 008FD00C
D 30018 C1800000
D 3001C 8F320800
D 30020 10A1FE00
D 30024 00C139D0
D 30028 00000004
run 30000
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<

the console assembly terminates as expected, however nothing gets loaded at
address 0...  I tried memory mapping the first file (like how I cheated on
4.2 &4.3 BSD) and I do get the = boot prompt..

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
;32v
;Disabled unneeded devices
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz lines=8
;
;The rp disk
set rp0 rp06
set rp1 dis
set rp2 dis
set rp3 dis
set rp4 dis
set rp5 dis
set rp6 dis
set rp7 dis
at rp0 32v.dsk
;
;32v tape
at tu0 32v/32v.tap
set tu1 dis
set tu2 dis
set tu3 dis
set tu4 dis
set tu5 dis
set tu6 dis
set tu7 dis
;load the 'boot' program from tape...
D 30000 20009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 3204A101
D 3000C C113C08F
D 30010 A1D40424
D 30014 008FD00C
D 30018 C1800000
D 3001C 8F320800
D 30020 10A1FE00
D 30024 00C139D0
D 30028 00000004
run 30000
load -o 32v/file1 0
run
go 0
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
Now for the cool part, I get the = prompt!  However it seems to have issues
writing to the rp disk & reading the tape..
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
=rp6fmt
format : Format RP06/RM03 Disk

MBA no. : 0
unit : 0
- - - - - -
MBA error : err reg 12000
- - - - - -
write error : err reg 1
 cyl 0   trk 0   sec 0
- - - - - -
..... it seems to bomb on every cylinder 0 & sector 0...

And finally the tape seems to read 'short'..

=tdcopy
tdcopy : TM03 tape-to-disk copy

tape MBA # : 1
tape unit # : 0
tape file offset : 0
tape block offset : 0

disk MBA # : 0
disk unit : 0
disk block offset : 0

no. of input blocks : 250
512 = tape block size

tape i/o error
TM02 err reg : ILF ILR RMR CPAR FMT DPAR INC/VPE PEF/LRC NSG FCE CS/ITM NEF
DTE OPI UNS COR/CRC
128 input blocks read
128 output blocks written

It's getting pretty close though!