[Simh] VAX 780 & 3BSD

Dan Foster simh at evilphb.org
Thu Feb 2 14:29:59 EST 2006

Hot Diggety! Jason was rumored to have written:
> 3bsd crashes on me too, but it doesn't kill simh...
>
> Here is what I get:
>
> Boot
> : ra(0,0)vmunix
> 61856+61008+70120 start 0x4b4
>
> Invalid SCB vector, PC: 80000676

That's what I was getting when I was using the wrong SIMH binary
(MicroVAX instead of VAX 11/780) to boot 4.2BSD. So maybe it's something
about hardware access or setup that 3bsd tickles?

As a side note, it appears that someone got VMS 1.5 to boot under SIMH
earlier today.

2BSD should be possible with SIMH's PDP-11 emulation.

Notes: only 75 2BSD tapes were distributed, and the csh shell in 2BSD is
derived from the V6 Mashey shell; first BSD release to have csh and vi.

1BSD should also run under PDP-11 emulation if SIMH supports the
PDP-11/34; 30 free 1BSD tapes were given out and 35 tapes were sold.

Kirk McKusick has, courtesy of the CSRG at Berkeley, made a 4-CD set
available for sale, with every single version of BSD ever distributed,
including 1BSD, 2BSD, etc., for USD $99. I may look into getting it.

http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/

-Dan