[Simh] Problem booting VMS 1.5

Hölscher hoelscher-kirchbrak at freenet.de
Wed Dec 20 01:10:31 EST 2006

> Hi all,

> I hope someone can help
> I am attempting to boot VMS 1.5 and I get the following error on boot:

>    OPCOM, 19-DEC-1979 21:56:27.82, LOGFILE INITIALIZED, OPERATOR=_OPA0:

> $ !
> $ ! VAX/VMS system startup - Release 1
> $ !
> $ SHOW TIME
>   19-DEC-1979 21:56:27
> $ SET NOVERIFY
>   MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, CONSOLE      mounted on _DXA1:

> **** FATAL BUG CHECK, VERSION = 1.50 INVEXCEPTN, Exception while above
> ASTDEL or on interrupt stack

Hi,

I had the same problem once.

It was because of some 'newer' devices (introduced after VMS V1.5) which cannot be handled by SYSGEN as of VMS V1.5.
So if you remove all devices not known to VMS V1.5 from your simh configuration there should be no more Bug Check.

Regards

Ulli

P.S.
Remember in simh there are some devices enabled by default, so check your configuration with 'SHOW DEVICES'.