[Simh] poor NFS performance

Erkan Baykan erkan.baykan at c-a-m.com
Fri Dec 1 12:17:49 EST 2006

Hi,

I have installed SIMH 3.6 on top of RHEL linux 2.6.9-42
and running VAX - OpenVMS 7.3 and TCPIP 5.01 (no patches applied).

Everything seems to be working fine, except for NFS.

I am trying mount directories from VAX to Unix and Windows
(via Hummingbird) boxes.

I am able to mount directories. Initially, Hummingbird was
causing lockd on VAX to hang with 100% CPU usage. I disabled
lockd on VAX. This helped greatly and I was able to access VAX
filesystems from both Unix and PC.

However, the NFS performance is really poor. If a directory
has a quite few files (>20), it takes 2 min to get a listing
of directory, and copying 10K file takes 5 min (worse on PC)
meanwhile VAX becomes unresponsive until the operation completes.

So I was wondering If I could do anything to improve NFS
performance on VAX. I am new to OpenVMS, how can I troubleshoot
this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Erkan

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information of Cameron
and its Operating Divisions. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply email and delete and destroy all copies of the
original message inclusive of any attachments.