[Simh] Problem booting VMS 1.5

Dan Foster simh at evilphb.org
Tue Dec 19 22:54:12 EST 2006

Hot Diggety! Geoff Shearer was rumored to have written:

> I hope someone can help
>
> I am attempting to boot VMS 1.5 and I get the following error on boot:

Here's how I would install VMS V1.5 -- I just tested this configuration
file and the step by step procedure. Both files are attached.

(Quick summary: it involves installing V3.0, booting into V3.0, then
installing V1.5 on a disk while booted into V3.0, then booting into V1.5.

All this is because V3.x has the DSC2 utility which is required to
extract VMS V1.5. DSC2 was dropped by V4.0.)

You can adjust the paths in the config file if you like. Doesn't really
matter where things lives as long as SIMH can find them all.

I used Linux paths in config file, but if you use Windows, just change
to Windows style pathnames.

Once you have installed VMS V1.5, you can uncomment the 'BOOT RP0' line
near the bottom of the config file for automatic booting into V1.5 if
you like.

-Dan