[Simh] Conversion of VMS tapes to .TAP file format?

Dan Foster simh at evilphb.org
Sat Aug 26 23:06:41 EDT 2006

If I could locate early VMS distribution tapes, and someone with a
tape drive and a VMS machine... how would they read data off the tapes
into a format that can be used by SIMH?

In this case, assuming VMS 1.0 or 2.0 with 11/780 emulation. I don't
know what is on these tapes but I assume VMS BACKUP savesets on tapes
with an ANSI label.

I seem to recall you needed an utility to copy each file off the tape
and add SIMH-type tape marks in preparing the large combined virtual
tape file (.TAP). Anybody know if such an utility exists on VMS?

Or can I have someone read files off tapes to a disk file, encode them
in a ODS-2 CD image file, send to me, then run some conversion utility
under Linux or Windows?

-Dan