[Simh] simh and jump tables

Tackett Galen tackett_galen at bah.com
Mon Apr 10 12:37:36 EDT 2006

Villy,

Don't think it futile. Think of it as education. :-) I'm sure some of the
rest of us did learn a bit from what you wrote.

Regarding C compilers and optimizations, the only one I know really well is
HP C for OpenVMS (VAX, Alpha and IA64) but similar things may apply to other
compilers--

Recent versions of HP C for OpenVMS do a lot of optimization by default, but
certain kinds of optimizations, especially some architecture-specific ones,
don't happen by default. I don't have enough experience with these
optimizations, or with simh for that matter, to be able to judge their
effectiveness for this application. It would be entertaining to try if I
only had the time and a VMS system at home (wish wish :)

One such feature, called "plus list optimization", enables optimization
across multiple source files. It basically involves using "+" instead of ","
to separate the names of your [multiple] source files. I can imagine
scenarios where this might be especially effective, but I haven't a clue
whether simh might be such.

Thanks for commenting on your experience, Villy. Always keep exploring.

--
Galen