[Simh] VAX laptops

bsupnik at comcast.net bsupnik at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 13:22:14 EDT 2006

As best I can remember, it never crossed anyone's mind to do a VAX laptop.  At the time, the gap between what a laptop could support (in terms of memory and disk space) and what a VAX required was pretty significant.  Also, power consumption in the VAX chips had risen after CVAX, and laptop batteries of the day couldn't supply the required power.  Finally, DEC was not building portable devices (it OEM'd from Tandy instead) and didn't acquire the appropriate expertise until after VAX's were retired.

Today, the requirements for a VAX laptop would be insignificant (2GB disk? 32-64MB memory? 15-20W CPU's??), but in 1988-1991, it wasn't doable.

/Bob