[Simh] Why no VAX laptop? (was Re: SIMH emulator running on Windows Mobile 2003?)

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Tue Apr 4 10:16:51 EDT 2006

Hi there,

-----
Why was there never a VAX laptop? Just because it was possible did not
mean it would/should be done.
As explained to me by a Digital Product Manager many years ago...

1) It would have ventured into hardware areas that Digital did not do at
the time:
   ATA/IDE disk drives
   ISA bus (keyboard, mouse, serial, parallel)
   PCI or ISA bus (network, video)
[PC technology was first assimilated into the Alpha systems, and then
retrofitted to the VAX line.]

2) A laptop would have been cool, but how many would they have sold at
2X-5X (this *was* Digital) times the cost of an Intel laptop?

3) If VMS/Ultrix was for secure networked multiuser computing, why would
people want a portable (insecure console, single-user, infrequent
network)?

Reasons #2 and #3 also apply to an Alpha laptop, with the additional
challenge of the heat dissipation from the Alpha chip.

There were two designed-to-be-portable systems that I remember:
  1) The non-Digital Tadpole
  2) There was a company [can't remember the name] that advertised that it
would take an existing MicroVAX2 BA23-based system and recase it into a
compact "luggable" [small suitcase size with a handle] unit with a screen
and keyboard. They extracted your BA23 chassis and remounted it into the
luggable chassis along with a custom plasma-based VT100. My company at the
time actually explored this option for taking our VAX-based manufacturing
diagnostics to the customer site, rather than requiring the customer to
ship the questionable unit back for testing. They decided it would cheaper
to port the diagnostics to a laptop PC. :-)

Dave

But: Even on my laptop, VMS is cool - remembering the 11/750 I once owned
:-)
And I always regretted that DEC never built a VAX laptop (why ? should
have been possible in the early 90s ?!)
At least a VS2000 with plasma screen in a box would have been handy some
times ...

Andreas

----------

The Tadpole AlphaBook ? Yes, but for me, a true VAX has to contain a VAX
CPU :-)
IMHO, Alpha VAXen are no "genuine" VAXes ... this is like running VMS on a
x86 chip - it's not the original thing. I'd like to have it binary code
compatible ... from desktop to mainframe, all systems running the same
code.

If you say non-Digital - I was wondering why you can currently find the
firmware for this system on a DEC ftp server ?

And, ok, I was referring to the 80's, the "golden age" of DEC and VAX -
but I think at that time, "portable computing" was not considered as an
option.
I always had the Apple ][ in mind, or the CBM SX64  - or the early
portable PC clones, Tandon and the like - and wondered, why DEC doesn't
offer the VS2000 in a different housing with integrated CRT or plasma
screen.

Anyway, it's not really important (unless I can get hold of on of those
Alphabook, of course) - for vintage purposes, I stacked some real DEC
hardware, for the "daily dose of relaxation from Wintel", I use simh on a
Wintel laptop :-)

Well, after letting my remark "slip out", I re-thought the idea of a
portable VAX again ... what would have been the gain at that time ? Would
anyone had wanted to buy it at that time (mid 80s) ? It might be "way
cool" to show around VMS on a PDA today, but what would be the real use
besides showing off ?

So, I could agree with reason #3, but only for central data processing
systems. As you mentioned, there where testing/diagnostics/measuring
systems in place requiring quick relocation possibilities - mostly still
no use for a laptop, because of the required IO-slots. Still a good reason
to have the suitcase VAX beeing built.

Anyway, it think it was still much cheaper to use dial-up PSTN lines with
modems and remote VT100s to allow "Home Workers" or techs access their
data than even thinking about buying a portable WS (besides, remember that
for the price of a VT320 and later you could almost buy a PC ...)
But from my own experience, there should have been enough reasons to have
portable (stand-alone) test systems.

I can remember an advertisement for a 68k (68030 ?) based Unix "Laptop"
computer, LCD screen and featuring a polished wooden case (oakwood ? ebony
? I don't quite remember, but it was very amusing) for "only" $16k ... but
on the other hand, I remember buying the first Toshiba 386 color(!!)LCD
Laptops for $8k each - featuring two ISA slots.

So I don't see Reason #2, because almost all VAX (workstation) systems
were sold at that prices, and compared to other manufacturers, it still
was affordable - and people (companies) bought it anyway !

Also, IMHO Reason #1 does not apply, the VS2000 or similar small systems
don't make use of any of the fancy PC-gadgets. I think, DEC had enough
components available to build a portable VAX (builtin graphics, serial
LKxxx keyboard and mouse, composite sync CRT or plasma, SCSI or MFM disks,
QBUS, etc.).

I could guess it was the fact that no-one could even think about portable
computing at that time ?! The VS2000 might have been a revolution already
:-)

Maybe Bob himself has had some insight of what DEC thought about that then

Whatever ..nowadays, with SIMH, everybody can have his/her own private
"VAX to go" on a laptop ;-)