[Simh] SIMH emulator running on Windows Mobile 2003?

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Tue Apr 4 05:51:20 EDT 2006

On 4/3/06, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> I know someone that had the PDP-11 SIMH emulator running on WinCE 2.0
> (I think that was the version) a few years ago.  He wanted RSTS/E in
> his pocket.
>
>        Zane

I also have a PocketPC and would be interested in hearing if anyone
has had success with this lately (SIMH 3.5). With a sufficiently large
CompactFlash or Secure Digital card, OpenVMS from PocketPC would be
pretty cool. :)

Tim

Hi Tim,

depending on the model of your PocketPC, you could give it a try with
Linux,
then you should be able to run the Linux version of SIMH (yeah, needs to
be compiled anyway).

I wanted to do this some time ago with my HP2200, but since it has no
keyboard (and
I didnt't want to buy a external one), I gave it up. Besides, it needs to
be re-flashed
with the linux system, and at that time, there was no CE image available
to flash it back
to CE ...

So, for some practical use (not just for beeing cool ...), the mobile
device requires a keyboard - otherwise
VMS and/or linux is no fun (except if you have X for PocketPC and work on
SIMH/VMS via X-Sessions).
Perhaps one could run VMS on the PocketPC and the XServer on the PC :-)

But: Even on my laptop, VMS is cool - remembering the 11/750 I once owned
:-)
And I always regretted that DEC never built a VAX laptop (why ? should
have been possible in the early 90s ?!)
At least a VS2000 with plasma screen in a box would have been handy some
times ...

Andreas