[Simh] No recognizable idle loop

Brian Knittel brian at quarterbyte.com
Mon Apr 3 14:09:34 EDT 2006

Their idle detection scheme works within VMS,
and I'd be willing to bet that their "idle.exe"
utility communicates directly with the emulator
via some sort of special trap instruction.
In a sense, they're modifying the operating system
and letting it know that it's running on an emulator.

When you break the fourth wall, so to speak, just
about anything is possible.

Brian

On 3 Apr 2006 at 11:26, Norman Lastovica wrote:

> SRI (for charon-vax) includes a utility that appears
> to detect the idle loop in the emulated system and
> somehow notifies the emulator of this and presumably
> then the emulator is able to 'throttle back'. check
> out:
>
> www.emulatorsinternational.com/downloads/cvax3100.pdf

_| _| _|  Brian Knittel
_| _| _|  Quarterbyte Systems, Inc.