[Simh] tap interface problem

Antal Ritter Antal.Ritter at hu.inter.net
Fri Sep 30 06:05:03 EDT 2005

Hi,

Since this is my first post to the list first of all let me greet all of
you!

I am trying to run OpenVMS in a SIMH machine on a Linux 2.6.13.1 host.
Networking using eth0 works fine, but I would like to be able to
reach VMS from the host system as well, so I tried to set up a tap
interface for virtual networking.

I recently upgraded to SIMH 3.5, previously used 3.3. The newer version
can not even attach to the existing tap0 device, it says 'File open error'.
The older version could attach to the device, but ifconfig from the Linux
box shows only dropped packets on the transmit side, nothing else.
If I do a tcpdump on the tap device however, I can see traffic going to
the VAX box, and replies coming from the VAX that never reaches the Linux
system.

Could you help me to solve this problem? Thanks in advance,

                            Antal Ritter