[Simh] Problem with EXAMINE on the VAX simulator

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Nov 28 12:42:21 EST 2005

On 28 Nov 2005 at 11:51, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Since I didn't find docs about it, I just tried
>
>  examine -v 7f946c6c
>
> which at least returns some data.

I am not familiar with the VAX, but from vax_doc.txt:

  2.2 CPU

  [...]

  These switches are recognized when examining or depositing in CPU
  memory only:

  [...]

    -v    interpret address as virtual, current mode

> So I explicitely need to tell that I want to examine a *virtual*
> address. Maybe it would be a wise idea to hack cpu_ex() to look at the
> $PR_MAPEN register if no physical/virtual switch is given?

A similar issue arose with the HP 2100 simulation (the HP also has a
physical/virtual mode).  I made the same suggestion as yours to Bob Supnik
in April 2004.  His response at that time was:

  "The default mode of examination must be physical; -v means use the
   virtual addressing mode if enabled.  VAX, PDP-11, Interdata all behave
   this way, and SCP depends on it (in particular, save and restore).

  "I am looking at alternatives, but right now, you'll have to remember
   your -v's."

I don't know that anything has changed since then.

                                      -- Dave