[Simh] Broken ethernet code?

Galen Tackett gtackett at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 20:41:27 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:

> I've never used OS X myself, so I can't suggest how you might turn
> something on or off.
>
> Meanwhile, "show xq eth" uses a pcap API which lists the readily
> available interfaces on the machine.  This list is formed differently
> on different machines, and on some systems doesn't include interfaces
> which don't have IP addresses.  You might want to try to configure
> en1 with a IP4 address (which you don't have to use, but which might
> get you beyond where you are now).
>
> Does the simh vax work if you attach xq to en0?
>

> - Mark
>
> --- Galen Tackett <gtackett at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Hey, it looks like you might be on to something!
>>
>> After attaching xq to en1, "show xq eth" produces:
>>
>>    0  en0  (No description available)
>>    1  tap0 (No description available)
>>    2  tun0 (No description available)
>>
>> No sign of en1!
>>
>> I did install tap and tun around the time things broke, just never
>> drew
>> the connection before.
>>
>> I don't need them it turns out. Is there some easy way to turn them
>> off?
>>
>> Galen
>> On May 10, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:

Mark,

Assigning an IP address to en1 didn't help, but setting xq0 to en0 does
at least get me past where I was.

I was using an additional ethernet card to allow my simh vax to talk to
my Mac. It also turns out that if I try to use TCP/IP (in the guise of
TCPware) on the simulated VAX VMS system, it apparently steals frames
away from the Mac itself. Whenever I have this happening Safari or
other network applications start acting funny--screens that only
partially load but with no error message, for example.

Maybe we can investigate why the second interface isn't recognized.

Thanks,

Galen