[Simh] More than 4 Drives ?

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Tue May 10 04:12:33 EDT 2005

Hi,

> Seems that simh is limiting me to having a maximum of 4 Drives, rq0 to
rq3.
> When I try and define an rq4 I get a "Unit disabled" error.

> Have looked through the faq, but didn't see anything on this being a
limitation.

yep, that's right - on real DEC hw, there were only 4 devices per
controller.

if you need more than 4 disk drives emulated, you can activate the
emulation

of up to 4 MSCP controllers:

sim> set rqb enabled

sim> set rqc enabled

sim> set rqd enabled

(rq aka rqa is enabled by default)

this gives you a total of 4x4=16 drives.
now you can define the characteristics of each drive as for rq, like:

sim> set rqb0 ra92 (standard RA92)

sim> set rqc2 rauser=4000  (ra81 like drive with 4GB)

sim> set rqd4 cdrom

and attach the physical disk image files as necessary.

if you really want more than 4 drives per controller, I think you need to
modify the source code and recompile.

Kind regards,

Andreas