[Simh] Migration utilities.

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Jun 17 11:13:14 EDT 2005

>Sirs, I am trying to replace a VAX machine with SIMH; what is not
>clear for me is which are the right utilities, and how to use it,
>to do the job without reinstalling the whole VMS OS again.
>
>Thank you very much for your kind collaboration.

Is the VAX SCSI based?  I've not tried this with a VAX, however, it
does work with my PDP-11's.  Hook the SCSI disk up to a Unix box, and
then use 'dd' to copy the 'raw' disk to a disk image.  Something like
the following:

	dd if=/dev/sda0 ibs=512 obs=512 of=/tmp/vax_image.dsk

Obviously at a minimum you'll want to change the device file.

If you have enough free space on the VMS system, you might even be
able to do this under VMS, though I personally would want to be
booted from a different drive.  I've copied all of my RL01's and
RL02's for my PDP-11's under VMS.

			Zane