[Simh] SIMH/Vax woes

Brian Meadows brian at wellsborocomputing.com
Mon Jun 6 06:17:08 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Having a couple of problems with getting SIMH/VAX working, hope
someone can shed some light on it.

I started off by downloading the Linux version. V3.4-0, the
latest version according to the WWW site. It unpacked OK, but
attempting to build the Ethernet-enabled version according to
Phillip Wherry's docs resulted in a failed compilation due to a
missing file, libpcap.a. This is under Mandrake 10.2 (aka
Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition). A quick file find confirmed I
don't have that file on my machine. Even though it's apparently
not required for Linux, I downloaded libpcap from SourceForge,
installed that. Nope, still no libpcap.a.

Next step was to try posting to the Mandrake newbie list (I know
enough about Linux to install it, but not a lot more). Their
suggestion was that the download version of v10.2 is missing a
lot of the development sources, and that I'd either need to buy
the CDs or do a net install to get the files I needed. One net
install later, having selected *every* development source library
except for the GNOME-specific stuff (I only use KDE), still no
sign of the file.

So, the first question. Anyone managed to get the Linux version
of SIMH/VAX to build on Mandrake? If so, where did you find
libpcap.a?

Anyway, having given up on Linux for a while, I switched back to
Windows 2000. Downloaded the WinPCap stuff and the executables,
and no problem there, the emulator came up first time. OK, so I
read that I need to create an ISO image of the Hobbyist Kit CD.
Not a problem, except Windows won't recognise the CD at all. Back
to Linux to try to create the image, and while that apparently
mounts the CD (at least, there's no error message) doing an ls of
/mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 gives me identical results - an empty
listing, and this is while the Hobbyist CD is in one drive, and
the other is empty.

This looks to me like a dud CD, unless I'm doing something VERY
silly, so OK, back to Montagar - but I'm an impatient cuss now
that I've started on the job, so if anyone has a bit of spare
bandwidth and would be willing to upload the image for me...?
Please send me an e-mail first if so, my FTP server is a shared
server, and I have limited disk space.

Thanks,

Brian.

--
"The people can always be brought to the bidding of their
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they