SIMH on portable machines (was Re: [Simh] Re: Welcome to the 'Simh' mailing list)

ethan.dicks at icecube.wisc.edu ethan.dicks at icecube.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 31 23:38:17 EST 2005

> A.Bucher at alcatel.de wrote:
> Small (simh)Vax is nice too!  I have a friend (slowly) running simh on a
> HP/Compaq Handheld iPaq H5500 with Familiar Linux Distro --  about 85%
> the speed of 11/750.  It is scary to watch VMS boot on something about
> the size of a remote control for my television.

I might be interested in that in the future (I might be getting some
flavor of PocketPC later this year)... what are the I/O options?  I take
it if one is on a wireless network or docked, one can telnet into SIMH and
log into the VAX?

85% of an 11/750 sounds like faster than 11/730 or MicroVAX-I speeds
(0.3-0.4 VUPs, where an 11/750 is nominally 0.6 VUPs)... fast enough... we
used to put a dozen users on an 11/730 for office work (MASS-11, VMS'
MAIL...)  Of course, our expectations were somewhat low, then (c. 1983)

-ethan