[Simh] Re: VAX network problem

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Thu Jan 13 11:50:44 EST 2005

---- snip ----
Back to the network problem:
- I use WinPcap V3.1Beta4 on all PCs. It is relieable, yes, but I remember
somthing that not all NICs can be switched to promicous mode ?
- There is no Firewall enabled on the two XP systems (MS firewall is
disabled anyway, and on the Laptop: for McAfee Firewall, it makes no
difference if enabled or not. The desktop has no Firewall at all. From the
VAX side, it seems to look OK, TCPIP IVP is OK, I can ping localhost and my
own IP addr, but nothing else. From the PC, I can't ping the addr. of the
VAX.
I even reinstalled VMS, first enabled DECNET IV an then TCPIP - no change.

I want to state that I don't blame the emulator for that ... I am no relly
sure if the DECNET/TCPIP setup of VMS is correct, since I set up the 3
systems independently in different ways. So, for the moment, don't treat
this "problem" too serious.

I will continue investigating and report my findings.
----- snap -----

rraaarrrghh !!

On the two PCs mentioned, (both by coincidence XP ...), there is VMWare
installed ! (but not on the W2K machine)

This means that I have more than one network interface (4), plus on the
laptop, there is a bluetooth and a wlan adapter ... makes 6 interfaces
visible in total. And, as you might imagine, the ethernet adapter is not
the first one which I used in the VAX.INI as default. shame on me ... !

Therefore, the advice is to check the available network adapters with
 sim> sho xq eth
and pick the one which connects to the network you _really_ want to access

regards,
Andreas