[Simh] Re: VAX Autoboot Problem

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Wed Jan 12 05:29:30 EST 2005

> Now to my question: I wanted to implement an automatic reboot
> (restart) of the emulator if it halts in the sim> mode. everything
> works, but I can't get the VAX cpu to auto-boot.
>
> In the description of Phil Wherry, he mentiones to do a DEP BDR 0
> and that's what I do in the vax.ini just before the BOOT CPU.
> In the cpu console, I   >>>SET BOOT DUA0, which works fine, but the
> net time the system still stops in the >>> prompt without booting.
> After manually entering >>> B<cr>, it boots.
>
> Any ideas ? How  can I flip the autoboot switch ?

You are on the right track with the DEP BDR 0

Please supply your vax.ini, and we can figure out what is happening.
-----

yep, sure, here we go:
--- vax.ini ---
;
; Load CPU microcode
load -r ka655x.bin
; upon HALT, console firmware is in control (boot prompt mode)
set cpu conhalt
;
; upon HALT, simulator is in control (simulator command mode)
;set cpu simhalt
;
; Attach console to telnet a telnet port
echo set cons telnet=1030
echo Console:
set cons telnet=1030
;
; Attach non-volatile RAM to a file
attach nvr nvram.bin
;
; This virtual machine has 128M memory
set cpu 128m
;
; Define disk drive types. RA92 is largest-supported VAX drive.
set rq0 ra92
set rq1 ra92
set rq2 rauser=2000
set rq3 cdrom
;
; Attach defined drives to local files
attach rq0 d0.dsk
attach rq1 d1.dsk
attach rq2 d2.dsk
;
; Attach the CD-ROM to ISO file (read-only)
attach -r rq3 vms072.iso
;
; Disable unused devices. It's also possible to disable individual devices,
; using a construction like "set rq2 disable" if desired.
;
set rl disable
set ts disable
set vh disable
set tq1 disable
set tq2 disable
set tq3 disable
;
; Attach Ethernet to a network interface
set xq mac=08-00-2B-AA-BB-CC
attach xq eth1
;
; attach the DZ to a telnet port
echo attach DZ 1031
echo DZ:
attach DZ 1031
;
; deposit 80 to BDR to disable autoboot (same as setting the autoboot
switch to disable)
;dep bdr 80
; deposit 00 to BDR to enable autoboot (same as setting the autoboot switch
to enable)
dep bdr 0
;
; Now start the emulator
echo
echo close telnet console session to exit from emulator
boot cpu
;
exit
--- vax.ini ---

In my opinion, there should be no problem ... but it still does not work.

Btw, how do I get the VAX to recognize the 128MB of memory ? VMS only sees
64M ...

thanks !
Andreas