[Simh] Re: Welcome to the "Simh" mailing list

A.Bucher at alcatel.de A.Bucher at alcatel.de
Tue Jan 11 11:55:52 EST 2005

> I am still wondering, how one can emulate such a complex thing like a
whole
> VAX system with all devices with only about 400-800kB of executable code

Well, a 11/730 emulates a VAX (and some peripherals, too, if the IDC
is used) with way less than 100kbytes of executable
microcode...  Similarly for a 11/780 (although not made out of generic
bitslice components).
-----

yeah, well, but is this really "emulation" ?
every CPU running microcode is somehow "emulating", no ?

but I guess you're right ...
I was just referring to the size some other pieces of software, mainly from
M$ :-)

anyway, simh reminds me to a 11/750 with the microcode debugger (monitor)
board option installed.
(what was the name of that board again ? connect a modem and you could
remote debug a 11/750 from anywhere - just imagine the possibilities)

regards,
Andreas
PS: Please excuse my lousy formatted replies, but I have to use Lotus Notes
here :-(