[Simh] Where are the .dsk files?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Dec 8 11:03:29 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 09:53:26 -0600, Joseph Quigley <cpu.crazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where can I find .dsk files? I've searched the documentation, google and man
> pages but I can't find them.

Maybe current SIMH users can supply you with their files, but
basically, these files are created on the fly as you attach the
respective disk drives to SIMH. So the flow of operation looks like:

  * start SIMH, attach some disk. (This'll create empty files large
    enough to hole the whole contents of such a disk.)
  * boot the CPU, install some operating system. (You can eg. boot off
    a CD-ROM, network or virtual paper-punch readers. During the
    operating system's installation, your .dsk file fills with data).
  * Shutdown your operating system, exit SIMH, your .dsk file is
    ready.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O