[Simh] simh and support for large files under OS X

Galen Tackett gtackett at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 09:27:06 EDT 2005

It looks like simh doesn't currently support large files (over 2 GB)
under OS X.

I'm no expert on simh or on OS X and Unix programming, but it looks
like the necessary code in sim_fio.c could already be there, or might
easily be added.

Again,  I'm no expert, but I think OS X provides such support. Though
its fseek() only accepts 32 bit offsets I can see in types.h that off_t
is a 64 bit integer and that lseek() accepts 64 bit offsets.

Is anyone familiar enough with this area to address how difficult it
would be to make simh do this?

And contrary to documentation, compiling with USE_INT64 and USE_ADDR64
does not enable large file support--at least, not on OS X.  It appears
that the required code in sim_fio.c  is currently conditinalized
against the operating system (currently Alpha VMS or Unix, Linux, and
Windows 32) and NOT on 64 bit addressing.

Your ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Galen