[Simh] vms 5.5-2 cdrom format

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Oct 18 13:21:26 EDT 2004

http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html
> to boot dua3 gave me the following error
> -DUA3
> ?42 NOSUCHFILE, DUA
> HALT instruction, PC: 00000C1A (MOVL (R11),SP)

Condist CD's typically contain only layered products and not the base
operating system.  The CD itself isn't bootable so the image isn't
either...

Bootable VMS CD's will have volume labels something like "VMS055"
or "VAXVMS071".

> i am not sure what the difference between iso9660 format and ODS-2

"ISO" originally meant ISO-9660 CD filesystem format.  But in common
use "iso image" now means "a block by block image of a CD no matter what
its filesystem".  So we end up with oxymorons like "iso image of a
ODS-2 volume".

Tim.