[Simh] Hello and A Couple of Newbie Questions

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Nov 8 11:08:21 EST 2004

>> I'm wondering what sort of "Getting Started" guides might be available
>> for legacy systems like RT-11, OS8, RSTS, etc.

> I am basically unfamiliar with DEC operating systems (we bought HP over DEC
> back in 1973 :-), so I don't know if there are any "friendly" guides, but
> many of the original DEC systems manuals appear on Bitsavers:
> [...]
> If they are anything like the equivalent HP manuals, they'll go into
> substantial detail on operation of the systems.

Nothing against the manuals, but realistically there's a certain amount
of system administration to get through for most OS's before you
get to have any "fun".

Perhaps disk images of pre-generated systems, with some common
DECUS/other games, and detailed instructions on how to get from
SIMH prompt to playing the game, would be more popular as a
"soft intro" to newbies.

(Of course, some newbies *want* to do SYSGEN's!  For those I
recommend a RT-11 V5 SYSGEN on virtual RX01's...)

Tim.