FW: [Simh] SimH vax.exe cpu usage on Windows.

Parker, David David.Parker at stjohn.org
Wed May 19 10:12:14 EDT 2004

>> Since your system is NOT a Notebook (which could benefit from
>> dynamically turning down clock speed when the system is idle to
>> reduce battery power consumption), running the CPU at 100% won't hurt
>> anything.  It won't create more heat, or make your disks work harder,
>> or anything.
>>

>Is this correct ?  My understanding is that the CPU heat is directly related
>to how much work the CPU is actually doing.  I quick monitoring of my own
>CPU temperature seems to reveal an increased temperature when the CPU is
>blocked at 100% busy.
>
>The overclocker guys are obsessive about this fact.  I have also seen
>suggested that CPU life expectancy is directly related to thelong term
>thermal load under which it is placed - cooler being better.
>
>I may be wrong on all counts, but I think Bishops concern is that he may
>decrease the life expectancy of his CPU by always having SIMH running, due
>to greater than normal thermal loads.
>
>Unless it is overclocked (and probably not even then) I do not think this
>should be a problem.

$0.02 to throw in regarding running CPU's at 100% for extended periods of time.
Yes, CPU temperature is directly related to the amount of load placed on the CPU, but only to a certain extent; it usually maxes out at a bearable point, especially if you have a decent cooler attached.  Additional heat can be generated (typically this is something only over-clockers worry about) by increasing some of the voltage levels in the BIOS, but that's only really necessary for over-clocking.
As far as system longevity being affected by continual use: I run my own PC-scale server at home and leave it on 24/7.  The CPU that was in the system (just previous to the current one) was in the system, powered and at 100% usage (thanks to http://www.distributed.net/) for approximately 3 years.  And the chip still runs like a champ!
On a side note, you can throw together a PC system that's more than capable of handling simh for just a couple $100; or, heck, get a cheap, old system at a trade show or Micro Center.
$0.02

> Andreas suggested that if you could figure out when the simulated
> system is "idle", you could get the simulator to idle itself as well.
>  As I've already said this is likely not worth the effort since there
> really is no net gain.
>
> There is, however, one case where implementing such an "idle"ing
> concept would benefit things.  This would come up if you somehow
> wanted or needed to run more than one simulator on the same host
> system simultaneously.
>
> All of that said, I've actually have a version of simh VAX which does
> support idling (or yielding) the CPU when the simulated system is
> idling.  The changes to support this affect several chinks of simh
> code.  I submitted it to Bob about a year and a half ago, and he
> didn't see the need.

Personally though, I would have included these changes, unless they have
some massive downside.

philip lewis