[Simh] Simh 64bit Support on Linux

Peter R. Trimmel peter.trimmel at austrocontrol.at
Mon Jun 14 06:26:47 EDT 2004

I am running SIMH 3.2 (VAX emulation) on Debian 3.0 "Woody" and need large
file support (LFS) to address disks bigger than 2GB (set rq0 RAUSER=8192 for
example).

Kernel (2.4.26), filesystem (ext3) and glibc have support for large files on
this configuration. I also found http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html which
provides some hints about LFS support and compilation macros.

I changed the CC flags to include
"-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" along with USE_INT64 and
USE_ADDR64, hacked scp_tty.c to include the fseek_ext() function for linux
as well and recompiled from source.

I am now able to attach an 8GB disk to rq0. All file I/O interfaces are
64bit. The emulator is running fine up to the point where I am trying to
access the 8GB disk: the simulator reports "RQ I/O error: Invalid argument"
(err=-1) after fseek_ext and bails out.

I know that 64bit support IS supported by simh and is working perfectly on
WIN32 systems. Any ideas what I might be missing? Has anybody compiled simh
for disks > 2GB on linux (x86) or FreeBSD (x86) and got a working VAX
simulation?

Peter R. Trimmel
Austro Control GmbH.
Air Traffic Control & System Management