[Simh] V3.10 VAX causes blue screen

aceyem at cox.net aceyem at cox.net
Thu Jan 22 09:30:19 EST 2004

I downloaded the sources back on the 8th of Jan once I saw a new set had been released.  Last night I finally got around to building the executables with MINGW.

I included the ethernet support and also used the USE_ADDR64 compilier option.  The batch file supplied with the distribution ran the makefile and built all the simulators including the VAX.

Over time the size of the VAX executable has shrunk from about 1400k to about 580k as of V3.02.  Boy was I surprised to find that the v3.10 VAX executable with ethernet support was only 374K.  Wow a lot of dead code must've been removed since last September.

I fired it up and proceeded to boot up VMS 7.1 with DECnet and Multinet 4.1 for a TCP/IP stack.  All was going well when just after starting Multinet my host system blue screened and rebooted.

At first I thought I may have bumped into the reset button and rebooted my Dell and windows 2000 but after trying to bring up the VAX again the Dell crashed and rebooted at the same point in the VAXes boot up sequence.

I backed out the 3.10 VAX executable and put the older 3.02 in it's place and it came up normally and all network stuff worked just fine.

The 150k change in the executable size makes me tend to think that a module is missing or seriously mangled in the V3.10 distribution.  Any other VAX/VMS having similar experiences?  Is the 3.10 distribution tied to a newer WINPCAP?

Anthony McCracken
aceyem at cox.net