[Simh] Re: OpenBSD and simh networking

Alan Frisbie frisbie at Flying-Disk.com
Sun Feb 22 21:34:02 EST 2004

> I have revisited OpenBSD 3.4 and can confirm that the disk
> initialization problem persists.

> Way back when I compared the driver sources of OpenBSD and Quasijarus; the
> NetBSD drivers bury the MSCP code too deeply. OpenBSD essentially posts the
> ONLINE command to the controller and then (t)sleeps for some period of time.
> For the ONLINE command to succeed, the device interrupt must wake the driver
> out of a sound sleep. Given that adding debug prints works around the
> problem, it's a fair guess the interrupt is delivered too early.

I seem to remember a similar problem with RSX-11M when our
RQDX2 controller was replaced with the RQDX3.   The RQDX3
completed initialization so much faster that the driver was
not ready for it (I don't think it was interrupt related).
It required an updated driver that could handle the increased
speed.   Could this be a similar problem?

Alan

--  Alan E. Frisbie               Frisbie at Flying-Disk.Com
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          323-256-2575
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065