[Simh] Unix V7 for PDP11

Kevin Brunt k.brunt at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 18:34:21 EDT 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:04:24 -1000 (HST) Tim Newsham <newsham at lava.net>
wrote:

> It's been a few months, but if I remember correctly the extra tty
> hardware in simh (dz?) is not supported by v7.  There was a driver
> in v7 but it has some comments to the effect that the driver is
> not in working order.  I stuck to using the console.

This is, of course, a reflection on the DZ11 still being rather
new-fangled when Unix V7 was 'issued'. Bell Labs had been using DH11's,
so the distribution supported them 'out of the box'.

Rather than trying to fix the V7 DZ11 code, it would be easier to add
support to SIMH for one of the terminal devices that V7 did support,
namely the DH11 and DC11 multiplexers, or what might be easier,
multiple DL11 lines, which would just(!) need a 'stretched' version of
the console TTY support.

The other way round would be to track down a V7 'sub-species' that did
have DZ support. They existed - I used to look after a system that ran
the Heriot-Watt 'small system' code, but although I've got the 11/44
processor. I didn't manage to get the distribution tapes, unfortunately.

Kevin